With vibrant tropical resorts, lush jungles and verdant mountain ranges, the Dominican Republic is a paradise for both outdoorsy and beach loving newlyweds alike. The country has been blessed with miles of pristine coastline on both the Atlantic and the Caribbean, offering ample opportunities for surfing impressive waves or snorkeling in calm, crystal clear water. And between white sand beaches and gorgeous rain forest you’ll find world-class golf courses designed by the pros, beckoning to be played year round.
Need To Know:
- AREA CODE:809
- CAPITAL: Santo Domingo
- WEATHER:The average annual temperature is 77 degrees. The months between December and March are the coolest months.
- LANGUAGE:The official language is Spanish but English is widely spoken in resort areas.
- ELECTRICITY:100 Volts, same as the USA
- TAXES:Visitors must purchase a Tourist Card for $10 US upon arrival. There is also a 10% Departure Tax. There is a 22% tax (12% Sales Tax and 10% Service Charge) on room rates.
- GETTING THERE:The Dominican Republic has seven international airports. Choose the one that is closest to your destination, or plan to spend a few days in Santo Domingo before taking a second flight or drive to your resort destination. Flights from NYC take about four hours, from LA flights take about 11 hours and from Chicago it’s around seven hours.
- TIPPING:A 10% service charge is added to restaurant bills.
Check out Destination Wedding Locations in the Dominican Republic: